Our advisory service is strategic. We help you understand what you need from a data governance strategy, offering recommendations for implementation. We assess your current position and help you discover where you want to be - this allows us to create a bespoke implementation plan. Specific activities at this level will include:
- Maturity assessments
- High level framework design
- Roadmap creation
- Strategy creation
- Technology selection
- Organisation design
The implementation stage is crucial for the design and delivery of your data governance framework. In our advisory stage, we gain a full understanding of your vision – using our findings, we are able to design a relevant framework tailored to your requirements. In the implementation stage, we aim to leave you with a functional data governance framework that you can roll out, safe in the knowledge it has been created with your business goals in mind.
After we have created and implemented the framework, we offer ongoing support services. A data governance framework from Comma Group will be entirely unique so our continued support to help you adapt as your business grows. This can be in the form of health checks, audits, facilitating data governance boards, support for metadata management tooling, training or more.
Why you need data governance
Data Governance is central to most other data management disciplines. But what benefit does it provide when working alongside other data systems?
- Data quality – data governance and data quality go hand in hand. Data quality is a combination of tooling, people, processes and how individuals interact with data and each other – this is all intrinsic to data governance. Data governance provides a framework for high data quality.
- Value – data governance combines people, process, technology and data into simple frameworks that any organisation can adapt. The simple ingenuity of data governance improves efficiency and ultimately, improves data quality.
- Efficiency – most challenges around data, including manual work and bad communication or siloes, are due to a lack of management of data. A data governance framework will help improve efficiency in your day-to-day work life.
- System Implementation – data systems are expensive, especially if the data being inputted and used is of poor quality. Strong data governance frameworks provide you with the reassurance that any data systems you invest in, will be as helpful as possible.
- Decision making – by implementing a data governance framework, you can make decisions based on your data systems safe in the knowledge that your tooling and data is of high quality.
- Reduce costs, increase revenue - The old adages of reducing costs and increasing revenue can be tied to successful data governance. When done right, your business efficiency will rocket and you will notice the benefits to the bottom line.
- Reduce risk –rules and policies regarding compliance mishaps can be embedded into data governance frameworks. This reduces the risk of any careless errors.
How we can help with data governance challenges
- Prioritisation – once benefits can be imagined, we work closely with you to prioritise based on your business goals and plan your roadmap accordingly.
- Implementation – getting people to adopt new ways of working and stick to it is difficult but our consultants work closely on an implementation strategy to make the move as smooth as possible.
- Buy in – sometimes business leaders cannot imagine or tangibly understand the benefits - we work closely to offer comprehensive reporting to curb this issue.
- Perception – data governance allows you to create and evolve and spread through your organisation until it is naturally part of the day job.
Our Data Governance Process
Our data governance process has been carefully structured to get the best results.
At the beginning of our work together, we run an in-depth analysis how your business is currently run and what you want to achieve. Once we’ve collected and shared our findings with you, we design an implementation strategy to fit with your business goals and deliver this to the highest possible standard.
Once your data governance system is in place, we continue working with you to operate and extend the framework – this includes progress monitoring and continual improvement.
We use Gartner’s 7 building blocks as a base line, focusing not only on the technical but on the people we’re helping and the goals they want to fulfil.
- Vision – what you want to achieve with your data
- Strategy – how you are going to get there
- Governance – the way that people, processes and systems interact with your data
- Organisation – how your data strategy will be managed, supported and maintained
- Process – the business processes
- Performance metrics – measuring your MDM initiative’s success
- Technology – choosing the software and systems that are right for your business needs